Things to do in and around Dartmouth
As these pages show, Dartmouth has so much to offer, whether you are sailor, a walker, an artist, a gourmet, a shopaholic, or just want to sit and watch the boats go by. The Coast, the Dart valley and the South Hams area are simply beautiful; the town is steeped in maritime history, with castles and local National Trust properties to visit, and yet there are plenty of contemporary entertainments for all ages, plus a wide choice of top class restaurants.
There are many interesting and individual shops spread around town to complement your holiday, offering books, antiques, gifts
and local crafts. There are big names in casual clothing such as Weirdfish, Fat Face and Henri Lloyd, plus a National trustshop, two boat chandlers and even M&S.
Dartmouth is home to a number of fine galleries, many featuring local artists, such as D'Art Gallery and Combe Gallery, plus the studios of iconic Dartmouth-based artists such as Paul Barclay and Simon Drew. No1 The Pottery features its own gallery, pieces taken almost entirely from local galleries and artists. Dartmouth also has a small cinema and theatre, with a programme of films, musicians and entertainers.
For sport enthusiasts, there are several golf courses on either side of the River Dart, notably the
Dartmouth Golf And Country Club. Cyclists can enjoy many challenges both on and off road, or if your pace is slower,
there are many beautiful and interesting
walks along the coast and up the river.
However, the chief outdoor attractions are surely the nearby beaches, and the constant activity on the River Dart. See our Water Activities page for more details.
- 30th Aug - 1st Sep : Dartmouth Royal Regatta - The highlight of the year, racing , tours of navy ships, air displays and fireworks.
- 9th - 16th Sept : Agatha Christie week - focussed on Greenaway House.
- 26th - 28th Oct : Dartmouth Food Festival - top class foodies, featuring the best of local and seasonal produce.
- 26th Oct : Dartmouth Gallery Week - one of Darmtouth's great attractions.
- 30th Nov – 1st Dec : Candle-lit Dartmouth – late night shopping, candle-lit flotilla...
- 31st Dec : New Year Fancy Dress Street Party
- March 2013 : Dartmouth Comedy Festival at the Flavel Theatre
- 10th – 12th May 2013 : Dartmouth Music Festival – bigger every year
WiFi hot spots are popping up everywhere, particularly in bars and cafes.
Bayards Cove Hotel,
Café Alf Resco, and
Browns Hotel are some of the most pleasant places to surf the internet in Dartmouth.
For even more detail of Dartmouth's delights, visit the Discover Dartmouth website and Dartmouth TV, which includes fantastic photographs of the Dartmouth area
Here is our YouTube selection of views of Dartmouth :